Cajun Barbecue Shrimp2013-01-06
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (canned is fine)
- 4 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 5 whole bay leaves, torn into pieces
- 4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoons dried sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (or more) cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 pounds whole fresh shrimp in the shell (with heads if possible)
In a heavy saute pan or saucepan melt the margarine, then add the oil and mix well. Add all the other ingredients except the shrimp and broth, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce begins to boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, then remove the pan from the heat and let it stand, uncovered, at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
Add the shrimp to the sauce, mix thoroughly, and put the pan back on the burner. Cook over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes, or just until the shrimp turn pink.
Add the broth, shaking the pan back and forth to mix. Preferably, place the pan into a preheated 450 degree F oven and bake for 10 minutes. Or simmer loosely covered on the stovetop for about 5 or 10 minutes.
Serve equal portions of shrimp with about 1/2 cup of the sauce ladled over each one. You will need bibs and lots of bread to sop up the sauce. Also, fingers are a necessary eating utensil.
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe