- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 pound pickled pork, diced
- 1 pound smoked ham, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 cups beef or chicken stock or hot water
- 2 cups rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
In large saucepan with lid, melt butter with oil.
Add onions and pork and saute until onions are soft.
Add ham, garlic, thyme and parsley and saute 5 minutes.
Add sausage and cook until browned.
Stir in stock and bring to boil.
Add rice, bay leaf and cayenne.
Return to boil and cover.
Simmer over very low heat 30 to 45 minutes, checking after 30 minutes to see if all liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender. If necessary, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more water if liquid boils away before rice is cooked.
Average Member Rating
(2.5 / 5)
2 people rated this recipe