- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 pound cooked, shelled and chopped crayfish tails
- (shrimp may be substituted)
- Tartar Sauce:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- Cayenne pepper or hot sauce, to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Lemon slices (garnish)
In a bowl combine flour and baking soda. Whisk in water. Stir in garlic, bell pepper, scallions, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, salt and the shrimp, stirring until well combined. Cover bowl and let batter stand for 1 hour.
Tartar Sauce: In a bowl stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, jalapeno, and red onion. Season with salt, cayenne and/or Tabasco. Chill.
In a deep heavy pan or deep fryer heat 3 inches of oil to 325 degrees F. Drop spoonsful of batter into oil and fry the beignets, turning them once, until golden. Transfer the beignets to a paper towel-lined sheet pan to drain. Season with salt. Continue frying remaining batter in same manner.
Serve the beignets warm with the Tartar Sauce and lemon slices.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe