New Orleans Jambalaya2013-01-06
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 8 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Salt, pepper and cayenne
- Pepper to taste
Cook rice while make jambalaya (or you can use leftover rice for this). Melt butter or margarine in a large saucepan; then saute the onion, celery, pepper and garlic about 5 minutes.
Mix in the tomato paste, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes longer over low heat.
Add in the sugar and 1 1/2 cups water. Season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for approximately 15 minutes.
Add raw shrimp and cook 5 minutes longer.
Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup warm water; add to pan and cook 2 minutes longer. Add in the cooked rice, green onion and parsley. Mix again and cook for a couple of minutes.
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe