These are a New Orleans specialty.
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups cold cooked rice
- About 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Confectioners sugar
Combine eggs and sugar and beat at high speed until pale yellow.
Add the vanilla extract, nutmeg, lemon, salt, baking powder and rice, and stir until well mixed.
Add enough flour, about 1 cup, to bind the ingredients.
In a skillet, heat oil to 365 degrees F.
Drop heaping teaspoonsful of batter into hot oil, but do not crowd.
Fry until golden brown, turning once, about 4 minutes.
Remove from the oil, drain briefly, then place on paper towels and keep warm.
Sift confectioners' sugar over the Calas.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe