Creole Red Beans and Rice2013-01-06
This is a favorite New Orleans lunch.
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- 1 1/2 pounds ham hock or ham bone with generous amount of meat or sausage
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
Place beans and ham hock in a large pot.
Cover with water. Water should be 1/2 to 3/4 inch above beans.
When beans and water are hot, add bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic, seasonings and jalapeno pepper.
Cook slowly for 2 to 3 hours or until gravy is thick and beans are tender.
Salt to taste.
Serve over fluffy white rice.
Average Member Rating
(4.5 / 5)
2 people rated this recipe