Fried Oyster PoBoys2013-01-06
- Tartar Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced sweet pickle
- 1 large hard-boiled, forced through a coarse sieve
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons drained bottled capers
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons Creole or Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Po Boys:
- 24 shucked oysters, drained
- Yellow cornmeal, seasoned with freshly ground black pepper and cayenne, for coating
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 2 loaves soft-crust French bread
- Sliced tomatoes
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
Tartar Sauce: In a small bowl stir together sauce ingredients.
Po Boys: In a heavy-duty plastic bag, working in batches of 6, coat oysters with cornmeal, knocking off excess. In a heavy kettle heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 375 degrees on a deep-fat thermometer and fry oysters in batches of 6, turning occasionally, until golden and just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer oysters with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Halve loaves crosswise and horizontally, cutting all the way through and spread each piece with about 2 tablespoons tartar sauce. Divide tomatoes, lettuce, and oysters among bottom pieces of bread and top with remaining bread, pressing together gently.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe