Spicy Seafood Gumbo2013-01-06
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 8 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen okra, sliced, thawed
- 1 pound crab claws
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 5 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried whole thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried whole basil
- 2 teaspoons dried whole oregano
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds medium-size shrimp, unpeeled
- 1 quart oysters, undrained
- 1 pound crab meat
- 1 pound fish fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Hot cooked rice
- File powder (optional)
Combine oil and flour in a cast iron skillet; cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring constantly, until roux is brown, but NOT black.
Stir in onion, celery, and garlic; cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Transfer mixture to a Dutch oven.
Add chicken broth, tomatoes, okra, crab claws, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, basil, oregano, sage and pepper; simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Peel and devein shrimp.
Add shrimp, oysters, crab meat and fish to Dutch oven; simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove and discard bay leaves.
Serve gumbo over hot rice and, if desired, sprinkle with file.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe