The Big Easy2013-01-06
- 1 cup green olives, preferably Italian, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (packed in olive oil, drained)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh oregano (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or other red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large round loaf Italian bread, about 7 inches in diameter
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced mozzarella
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced salami
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced ham
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced provolone
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced Mortadella
Mix the chopped olives and the next 6 ingredients; stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours to marry flavors. Olive mixture can be made up to a week ahead.
Cut bread in half horizontally; remove bread from bottom and top of loaf (discard or save for bread crumbs) to form a thick shell. Spread half the reserved olive mixture (with liquid) on the bottom half of the bread, then half the onion rings. Next, layer the cheese and cold cuts in the order listed. Top with remaining onion slices, then remaining olive mixture. Sandwich can be made up to 6 hours ahead. Wrap tightly; store in the refrigerator.
Return to room temperature before serving. Cut into 6 wedges.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe